RCA Updates (April 2017)
As always, please share these updates with neighbors who may not be receiving the information (and let us know if email addresses need to be updated, etc.).
Volunteers Needed. We would like to resume the annual tradition of holding a Fourth of July event at Maury Elementary, but a volunteer is need to take the lead role in organizing the event. Please let us know if you’re interested – there should be plenty of “old hands” to help.
Traffic and Pedestrian Updates.
- At its April 24 meeting, the Traffic and Parking Board is expected to consider a proposal to install a crosswalk across East Rosemont Avenue, where it intersects Hooff’s Run Park. This will require some loss of parking but is intended to improve pedestrian safety. Notices are expected to be posted along the street next week. At the same time, a new crosswalk is planned at Little Street and Linden Street
- The City has posted the results of its audit of walking routes to Maury Elementary at https://www.alexandriava.gov/uploadedFiles/localmotion/info/2017_2_27_Maury%20report.pdf. Various items for improvement are noted, including the light cycle and signage at Russell Road and West Oak Street (show-term agenda items) and curb extensions along both Russell Road and Commonwealth Avenue (medium-term agenda items).
- A traffic analysis of the King Street/Russell Road/Callahan Drive intersection, and a community meeting about the City’s proposals, is expected later in the spring.
- Please let us know how the “no trucks” signs on West Linden Street are (or aren’t) working. In January, the City advised us that the use of “pictograph” signs was deliberate and intended to send a stronger message than a “no thru trucks” sign – but feedback as to how well that’s worked in practice certainly could be provided.
SafeTrack. SafeTrack surge #13 ends tomorrow, but Yellow Line “Rush+” service will remain suspended during surge #14 (April 15-May 14). For more information, please visit https://www.wmata.com/service/status/details/Surge-14.cfm.
- April 13 – Rescheduled “First Thursday” on Mount Vernon Avenue in Del Ray. For more information, please visit https://patch.com/virginia/delray/weather-postpones-street-festival-del-ray.
- April 17 – Maury Elementary PTA meeting. For more information please visit http://maurypta.org/2016-2017-maury-pta-calendar/.
- April 28 – First day for absentee voting for the June 13 primary election. Please visit https://www.alexandriava.gov/Electionsfor more information.
- April 29 – Earth Day celebration at Braddock Park adjacent to George Washington Middle School. For more information, please visit https://www.alexandriava.gov/EarthDay.
- May 6 – Spring cleanup pick-up in most of Rosemont (April 29 north of Braddock Road). For more information, please visit https://www.alexandriava.gov/tes/solidwaste/info/default.aspx?id=84166.
Keeping Informed. We try to provide regular updates on local news, Rosemont history, and general happenings in Alexandria via our Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/RosemontCitizensAssociation/), cross-posted to Twitter (https://twitter.com/RosemontCitizen) and our web page (http://rosemontcitizensassoc.org/facebook/). Please consider following one or another (as well as the Rosemont email list, https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/rosemontva/info).
Volunteers (Again). We can always use another hand – again, thinking ahead to events such as the Fourth of July (which hopefully can return to the Maury Elementary School) but also ongoing items, ranging from pending matters (school redistricting, development, etc.) to general issues (neighborhood beautification, Rosemont history, etc.). If you have an interest, please let us know.
Membership. Please renew! (See http://rosemontcitizensassoc.org/join/ for the form.)