First, an introduction – at the November 2016 RCA meeting, I was honored to be elected to succeed Marguerite Lang as President of the Rosemont Citizens Association. I look forward to continuing to work with Marguerite (as our President Emeritus) and the rest of the Rosemont neighborhood.
- SafeTrack. Metro has announced its SafeTrack schedule for 2017. Although there will always be some form of service at Braddock Road and King Street, there will be single-tracking – and likely significant delays – between March 4 and April 9 (and SafeTrack work elsewhere in the system on other dates). See https://www.wmata.com/service/SafeTrack.cfm for more information.
- Traffic. At our November 2016 meeting, Robert Garbacz, Division Chief of the Transportation and Environmental Services Department, took questions and provided feedback about traffic concerns in Rosemont. We would like to propose a study of traffic issues in Rosemont generally – but also would like to bring specific issues to the City’s attention. If there are specific intersections or other problems that you believe should be highlighted, please let us know.
- Crime. At our November 2016 meeting, our Police liaison, Lieutenant Bartholomew Bailey, provided an update on crime statistics, and noted that two arrests had been made. Generally, he noted that most appeared to be “crimes of opportunity” – for example, many of the thefts from cars (and car thefts) in Alexandria involve cars that are unlocked or even have a key left inside.
- Mail Service. We’ve received some complaints from residents of West Rosemont about late/inaccurate mail delivery. If you’ve been experiencing problems, please let us know so we can try to identify where the issues are and to better raise them with the Post Office.
- Rosemont History. We still have copies of the DVD that our former Rosemont neighbor, Anne Taylor, put together on the early history of Rosemont for $5; it also should be available from the local history room at the Barrett Library in old Town.
- Keeping Informed. We try to provide regular updates on local news, Rosemont history, and general happenings in Alexandria via our Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/RosemontCitizensAssociation/), cross-posted to Twitter (https://twitter.com/RosemontCitizen) and our web page (http://rosemontcitizensassoc.org/facebook/). Please consider following one or another – and please share these updates with neighbors who may not be receiving the information.
- Volunteers Needed. We can always use another hand – thinking ahead to events such as the Fourth of July (which hopefully can return to the Maury School) but also ongoing items, ranging from pending matters (school redistricting, development, etc.) to general issues (neighborhood beautification, Rosemont history, etc.). If you have an interest, please let us know.
- Membership. Please renew! (See http://rosemontcitizensassoc.org/join/ for the form.)