Meeting Report. Thanks to all who attended our March 23 meeting. Please mark your calendar for June 21 for the next meeting. A round-up of the discussion:
* Police Report – Although the RCA’s liaison, Sgt. Stancil, was unable to join us, he relayed a report on crime in the neighborhood – essentially, that very few incidents have been reported in the past two months. But an ongoing concern continues to be “crimes of opportunity,” taking advantage of unlocked cars and doors.
* Sheriff Report – Deputy Chief Williams provided an update on Project Lifesaver, to help monitor at-risk adults (se https://www.alexandriava.gov/sheriff/project-lifesaver for more information) as well as the Sheriff’s program to monitor homes while residents are on vacation (https://www.alexandriava.gov/sheriff/away-from-home-check).
* Northern Virginia Conservation Trust – Rentz Hilyer of the NVCT made a presentation about the NVCT’s program to preserve undeveloped space in Northern Virginia (which includes easements on two properties in Rosemont). For more information, please visit https://www.nvct.org/land-conservation and see the attached handout.
* TING – Catherine Rice of TING made a presentation about its ongoing installation of a fiber optic network in Alexandria to provide Internet service. A copy of the presentation is attached. The work in Rosemont – including “microtenching” to lay the cable – is expected to start in September. For more information (including how to report any problems in the installation process) please visit https://www.alexandriava.gov/tes/ting-citywide-fiber-to-home-project.
* PELT – John Hill, one of the members of RCA’s Planning, Environment, Land Use, and Transportation committee, made a presentation about four major infrastructure projects in Rosemont’s future (King/Russell intersection reconstruction; King and Commonwealth rail bridge rebuilding; stormwater interceptor construction; and sanitary sewer expansion). A copy of the handout provided at the meeting, with more information and links to City websites, is attached.
* Zoning – We expect an issue to be discussed at our next meeting is the City’s proposal to allow multi-family construction in areas of the City currently zoned single-family. The City’s web page about the issue – including community meeting dates – is https://www.alexandriava.gov/planning-and-zoning/zoning-for-housinghousing-for-all.
* Membership – Another item for discussion at the next meeting will be a change in how the RCA organizes its membership – shifting from a paid model to considering all interested neighbors to be members, and asking for voluntary donations. Further details will be circulated as the concept is developed.
Keeping Informed. We try to provide regular updates on local news, Rosemont history, and general happenings in the neighborhood and Alexandria via our Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/RosemontCitizensAssociation) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/RosemontCitizen) and general resources on our web page (http://rosemontcitizensassoc.org). The independent community email list can be accessed at https://groups.io/g/rosemontva.
PELT Update for March 23
RCA Meeting About NVCT
Rosemont VA-March 23-2023-Final